Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Top 10 PFurs Music Videos


As some of you may remember, back in April of 2020 I made a list of my ten favorite Psychedelic Furs music videos and today I made the decision to redo my list. But surprisingly, my list is very much the same as the first, although a new change had been added. Before, I had thought of making this list again but I've never gotten around to it, until now. And before I start I just want to say that these are my own personal opinions and the videos I selected are ones that stand out to me the most.


And now, let's begin. Here are my top 10 favorite music videos by The Psychedelic Furs!





10. The Ghost In You - Director: Tim Pope https://youtube.com/watch?v=T87u5yuUVi8



During the verses Richard Butler sings into one of those types of mirrors that appear in dressing rooms, and when the choruses come on Richard, John Ashton and Tim Butler perform while all of these colored glass bubbles move around them. I love Richard's dancing in "The Ghost In You", it's really great. Surprisingly the "Ghost In You" video wasn't included at all in the All Of This And Nothing video compilation on VHS. You'd think it would be on there and I wonder why it got left out.









The shots of Richard Butler standing on the giant clock are my favorite moments in the video for "Until She Comes". It also shows the band members in a blue room with circles of flashing lights peering through and things like an hourglass, a starfish, etc.






8. All That Money Wants - Director: Walter Pitt https://youtube.com/watch?v=Gti22zo6sm0



"All That Money Wants" marked the return of original drummer Vince Ely, who had left The Furs six years earlier after when Forever Now came out. The video shows Vince, John Ashton and Tim Butler walking around while Richard Butler sings to the camera. My favorite part: Richard's little smile at the end of the video. <3






7. Angels Don't Cry - Director: Tim Pope https://youtube.com/watch?v=XU65Y4gTUYo


What I like about this one is that it was all filmed in one take. Richard, Tim, and John perform on a set that has a bunch of light bulbs and later when the instrumental part starts playing Richard walks away and enters into a different set. As he goes in you see Mars Williams doing the magical saxophone solo and the rest of the band members join Richard. Richard Butler's very handsome in this video and right before when Richard goes into the second room he smiled a gorgeous smile. I love that!






6. Run And Run - Director: Bill Davis https://youtube.com/watch?v=AJ0eob8S-FQ




The video for "Run And Run" was filmed in New York City while The Psychedelic Furs were in America during the Forever Now tour. It shows the band members signing autographs for fans at a record store, sightseeing, hanging around, and having fun. During that time the "Sleep Comes Down" video was also made, as "Run And Run" featured behind the scenes footage for that particular video.






5. Wrong Train - Director: Hans Neleman https://youtube.com/watch?v=w_Bu7ctVR8c



Here is something interesting. The video for "Sleep Comes Down" actually used to be on my old ranking (at number 10), but after watching the video for "Wrong Train", I like it better than "Sleep Comes Down"! And "Wrong Train" made it at number 5, and you can probably tell why it's high on my new list. The video is absolutely awesome, it's so well made and Hans did a remarkable job directing it. Richard Butler looks fantastic and the look of the video was inspired by Richard's own paintings.






4. Heaven - Director: Tim Pope https://youtube.com/watch?v=4G_CAYf-itw



The "Heaven" video is beautiful, with Richard looking angelic as he spins around while Tim and John look like they're having a blast in the rain. It is mesmerizing to watch. This is Richard Butler's favorite PFurs music video but unfortunately after the video was filmed he caught a cold from being wet for so many hours.









This video is cool with all the scenes of the flowers blooming and Richard Butler spinning in the whatchamacallit. And also I love the close up shots of Richard. <3






2. Sister Europe - Directors: Don Letts, Mick Calvert https://youtube.com/watch?v=-R96oxrDHWs



There's something about this video that appeals to me, and even though it's simple, it is so effective. It's dark, mysterious, and the sound of the music matches the look of the video. I read that the band members were actually drunk during filming, and even on a few scenes, you can tell that Richard Butler's movements looked a little off. But still, the video for "Sister Europe" is great and I also want to say I like the very old quality on the vid.



We are now at the grand finale, and here is my number one favorite Psychedelic Furs music video of all time!








1. Love My Way - Director: Tim Pope https://youtube.com/watch?v=LGD9i718kBU



The video for "Love My Way" is just magnificent. It has beauty, elegance, and the visuals are absolutely stunning. This video was played heavily on MTV and it helped The Psychedelic Furs gain popularity in the United States. My dad remembers watching the "Love My Way" video, and he once told me that he thought it was weird but liked it at the same time. Like I said on the "Sister Europe" video it is simple but so effective, and it leaves you in awe. My favorite music videos are a tie between The Psychedelic Furs' "Love My Way" and Green Day's "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams", because they have their own style and I love them both for different reasons.


I think what makes The Psychedelic Furs' music videos great is the one and only Richard Butler himself, with his aura and presence, the way he dances on the videos, and his iconic voice. While watching the videos it made me think how awesome and wonderful Richard is, and there is no one like him. I am very glad I had the opportunity to see Richard Butler live in person four times with my own eyes, and those experiences were so amazing. I do hope I will see him and the rest of the band again someday.


Thank you for reading and hope you all enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment