Thursday, October 21, 2021

Behind the Songs: Don't Believe

A selection of quotes from The Psychedelic Furs on the song "Don't Believe".


Richard Butler: "I think we chose that song [as the first single for Made Of Rain] because it sounded like, you know, if people picture in their minds or ears what a typical Psychedelic Furs song sounds like. I think that might be kind of what it would sound like, that one." (BBC6 Music 2020)


Tim Butler: "It was a song I'd written that had a verse and a chorus. And I sent it to Richard and he said to me, 'Yeah, I like the verse part but write another chorus.' So I was [inaudible] away writing a different – not riff, but chorus, but we go to the studio and just started playing the verse riff. It came together pretty quickly. I think it's some of the last tracks we recorded as well [for Made Of Rain]." (Interview with Kyle Meredith, 2020)


Tim Butler: "I think that one is the most – the one that most harkens back to the early sort of aggression of The Furs; circa 'India,' the first album." (Interview with Kyle Meredith, 2020)


Richard Butler: "That was a song written with Tim. It was an idea that [inaudible] had, but we decided that we only really liked the first part. So really the whole band weighed in, and it became really a band composition. In that we came up with other parts for it in the studio as a band." (Out Of The Box (Q104.3) 2020)


Richard Butler (on the line "The money's got the medicine and you can't believe in anything"): "Well, that's about the health care system - big pharma and all that. It's just saying that it's difficult to believe in anything." (Songfacts 2020)


Richard Butler: "I think 'President Gas' was the only time I've been that scathing in my narrative, although I think 'Don't Believe' is pretty scathing on [Made Of Rain]." (Spin 2020)


Rich Good (on being asked what were his favorite songs from Made Of Rain to play live): "'Don't Believe', 'No-One', 'Ash Wednesday'… 'This'll Never Be Like Love'. Again, 'all of them' would be an accurate answer." (Post-Punk.com 2022)


Photo: Reed Davis


No comments:

Post a Comment