Saturday, October 16, 2021

Behind the Songs: Here Come Cowboys

A selection of quotes from The Psychedelic Furs on the song "Here Come Cowboys".


Richard Butler: "When I listen to the first two albums now, they seem really full of confusion, angst, disgust & cynicism but I don't feel that way now. I think we can change things but I'm not the kind of songwriter that stands on a podium and shouts. I think you have to change things in a more gentle way for it to be effective. I think that [Mirror Moves] is a much more subtle album, as opposed to shouting. I also think 'Here Come Cowboys' is ideal for the elections coming up (laughs)." (Aquarian Arts Weekly 1984)


Richard Butler (on being asked if the song was about Ronald Reagan): "Yeah, yeah, he's obviously the most famous one [cowboy] but it's also an attack on TV heroes." (Artist Magazine 1984)


Richard Butler: "It's subliminally political; it doesn't scream its message out. I don't like songs that do. I'm not a fan of The Alarm or The Clash." (BAM Magazine 1984)


John Ashton: "Most of the [songs on Mirror Moves] aren't love songs at all. 'Heaven' is about nuclear war, 'Here Come Cowboys' and 'Highwire Days' are political, 'Heartbeat' is about life in the city, specifically about some people we know." (The Morning Call 1984)


Richard Butler: "The way I write, I can get away with being political. I think 'Here Come Cowboys' can have radio play and get away with being political, whereas something that openly slams politics won't get played. In a lot of ways, my method of writing is a lot more difficult—I work in a more insidious way. If someone hears our song on the radio and likes it, he or she might not realize what it's about, but they'll go out and buy it. Then, after repeated listenings, they realize the song's meaning. So, we've gotten through to somebody who doesn't think like us as a matter of course. In that way, we've been more successful as conveyors of ideas if we'd put the messages right up at the front at the beginning." (Rockbill 1984)


John Ashton (on being asked what's the point of not playing "Heartbreak Beat" live): "I'd like to do it, but it comes down to a band vote. This is a democratic band! I don't care much for 'Cowboys' but I wouldn't mind doing 'Heartbreak Beat', so there you go." (Fort Worth Star Telegram 1990)


Richard Butler (on Columbia releasing the song as a single): "We bowed to their will, we thought, 'They're a record company, they probably know better than we do about it.' I thought releasing 'Cowboys' as a single was a big mistake..." (Ink 19 2002)


Richard Butler: "I recall we had a big disagreement with the American record company, because 'Heaven' was in the Top 10 in Canada and the video was everywhere, but then America decided, for some bizarre reason, to release 'Here Come Cowboys' instead. Which failed. I'll never understand their rationale behind that." (Record Collector 2020)




No comments:

Post a Comment