Monday, October 4, 2021

Behind the Songs: Wrong Train

A selection of quotes from The Psychedelic Furs on the song "Wrong Train".


Richard Butler (on being asked if there's a song he enjoys playing the most live): "No, on both these tours I just loved playing all of them. And the new songs. There's a new song called 'Wrong Train' which I really like playing." (iJamming! 2001)


Richard Butler (on how his former first wife thought of the song): "She gets a kick out of it. She likes sarcasm. She likes the bit that says, "A wife that hates me, so does her boyfriend.'" (Interview with Robert Cherry, 2001)


Tim Butler (on Made Of Rain's songs coming together quickly): "Except for 'Wrong Train,' all the songs on the album were written in five or six months. 'Wrong Train' was probably written roundabout 2006, and we played it in our live set." (The Aquarian 2020)


Tim Butler: "It's more of a traditional sounding rock and roll song, before we went into the studio we sort of messed it around a bit. It came out a lot heavier and more driving, and it went into a different direction. For me, that's my favorite song on [Made Of Rain]." (Forbes 2020)


Richard Butler: "We'd been writing bits and pieces over the years. 'Wrong Train', that's been around for a while." (HMV 2020)


Richard Butler: "It is a fairly sad song. It's got the line 'A wife that hates me, so does her boyfriend.' It always makes me laugh, though." (Interview with Janice Long, 2020)


Tim Butler: "One of the oldest songs on [Made Of Rain] is 'Wrong Train,' which was written in, I guess, 2004; four or five." (Interview with Kyle Meredith, 2020)


Richard Butler: "From time to time, we'd write a new song, rehearse it and play it. One of them made it onto [Made Of Rain] ('Wrong Train')." (Magnet Magazine 2020)


Tim Butler: "One song on [Made Of Rain], 'Wrong Train', is quite old, but it's been totally re-envisioned." (Music Week 2020)


Richard Butler (on Made Of Rain's songs): "They're all new songs besides one ['Wrong Train'], I think, which has been around for a little while." (Out Of The Box (Q104.3) 2020)


Richard Butler: "There's a couple of songs [on Made Of Rain], one song in particular. It's been around for a little while and that's 'Wrong Train,' which we wrote a little while ago. But it's a great song and we've never really released it before." (Out Of The Box (Q104.3) 2020)


Richard Butler: "One of my favorite lines here comes on 'Wrong Train': 'A wife that hates me... so does her boyfriend'. It makes me laugh! Sure there's a certain sorrow to it as well, but... it's dark comedy." (Record Collector 2020)


Tim Butler: "'Wrong Train' had been around for a while. Back in, I guess it was 2006, I'd actually taken that musical idea up to [John Ashton's] and we worked on it and he put in some ideas and stuff. So that was a song written by John and I that we've totally reimagined musically for [Made Of Rain]." (Rock & Roll Globe 2020)


Richard Butler: "One of the songs on [Made Of Rain], 'Wrong Train,' we've been playing live for some time." (Rock Cellar Magazine 2020)


Richard Butler: "My first and only marriage was sort of crumbling, and it made me examine in a very negative, pessimistic kind of way the whole move to the suburbs. It made me imagine somebody else's life perhaps, who had moved out and had a similar or perhaps more tragic time of it than I had." (Songfacts 2020)


Richard Butler: "When the line ['A wife that hates me / So does her boyfriend'] came to me, I realized it was funny and sort of heartbreaking at the same time. I liked that about it." (Tidal 2020)


Richard Butler: "'Wrong Train' was a song that we wrote quite some time ago, it was never released and put on the back burner, but for the most part, the rest of [Made Of Rain] was pretty much within the last few months." (Vive Le Rock! 2020)


Richard Butler: "'Wrong Train' is literally about somebody that made the wrong choice with the wrong person and ended up in a place where he just didn't want to be. I did have that type of experience but it wasn't at the top of my mind when I wrote that song." (Vive Le Rock! 2020)


Tim Butler: "We did record 'Wrong Train' [for Made Of Rain], but a very different version to when we'd do it live. It had an overhaul." (WriteWyattUK 2020)


Richard Butler: "I’ve known Hans [Neleman] for a while and in fact he owns one of my paintings. He heard [Made Of Rain] and told me that he wanted to make a video. I told him that the next song the record company wants to put out is 'Wrong Train' which happens to be his favorite song on the record, and that’s how it came about." (AS IF Magazine 2021)


Richard Butler (on the music video for "Wrong Train"): "Hans showed me some stuff Peter [Sebastian] had done and it was in a very collagey kind of way and I really liked it. It seemed like something I hadn't seen in a video before, but I didn't want to make a video that illustrated the song, I didn't want to make a video where I was pretending to sing—we wound up compromising slightly in that I spoke the lyrics by saying the words after they were sung in the song so it didn't look lip synced. I wanted the video to match the mood of the song, not illustrate the song, and Hans did a great job of that." (AS IF Magazine 2021)


Richard Butler (on the "Wrong Train" video): "'Wrong Train' continues the black and white textured, mysterious feel of the previous videos from Made Of Rain. It was a pleasure working along with Hans Neleman on this project. The creativity Hans, Peter Sebastian and their team brought shows in every frame. Much like in paintings, imagery in this video is altered to where it is seen in an entirely different way." (Broadway World 2021)


John Ashton: "When I first got back together with [Richard and Tim Butler] Richard said, 'Do you have any ideas?' and I had us – an idea I'd been knocking around which turned into a song called 'Wrong Train,' which is now on [Made Of Rain]. So it's a 20 year old song on the new album so go figure, I don't know." (Everyone Loves Guitar podcast 2021)


Richard Butler: "['Wrong Train'] was written at the time of a break up which initially inspired it, but it took wings from there. The line, 'a wife that hates me' is kind of a joke. It made me laugh anyway. Still does!" (GoodTimes 2022)






No comments:

Post a Comment