Monday, October 4, 2021

Behind the Songs: You'll Be Mine

A selection of quotes from The Psychedelic Furs on the song "You'll Be Mine".


Richard Butler (on being asked which song from Made Of Rain is his favorite): "I'm not sure if I could pick a favorite. I can tell you that 'You'll Be Mine' evolved nicely from original form and became a song I'm quite fond of." (Electrypop 2020)


Tim Butler: "It came together in the studio. The demo of it was Richard, a drum machine and guitar sample. It was actually the last song we put down. It came together really well. It has a vibe of 'All Tomorrow's Parties' by the Velvet Underground to me. It's a bit of a departure for us from what we're known for." (Forbes 2020)


Richard Butler: "Cooking Vinyl made a video, in-house I believe, using that sculpture [from the Made Of Rain album cover] in a 3D way and it works beautifully. It's for the song 'You’ll Be Mine', it's on YouTube." (Hot Press 2020)


Richard Butler: "When I listen to something like 'You'll Be Mine,' which is basically a song about death, it seems to be fitting with the mood of the times." (Magnet Magazine 2020)


Richard Butler: "I love that one. That was one I wrote with Tim and we built it up in the studio and Richard Fortus actually plays violin. It had a very Velvet Underground feel about it, especially when Richard Fortus put his violin on there. So it just built up from there and then we put some taiko drums on it. That took off to a whole new level and it became something else entirely." (Out Of The Box (Q104.3) 2020)


Richard Butler: "It's basically alluding to death, and 'you'll be mine' is death saying 'you will come to me.' It's a little grim." (Songfacts 2020)


Richard Butler: "'You'll Be Mine' was basically a little ditty that Tim had written the music for and I did the vocals for, and in the studio – with Richard Fortus's help, obviously – it turned into this kind of epic creature." (Yahoo! 2020)


Rich Good: "I love listening to [the audience] on ['You'll Be Mine']... it's taken on some new power in the live setting." (Instagram 2022)



Photo: Matthew Reeves


No comments:

Post a Comment