Monday, October 4, 2021

Behind the Songs: Only You And I

A selection of quotes from The Psychedelic Furs on the song "Only You And I".


John Ashton: "If memory serves me well, 'President Gas,' 'Forever Now,' and 'Only You And I' were songs that were around when [Roger Morris and Duncan Kilburn] were around. Only maybe in a very early stage, but they're outstanding songs because the orchestration is so different, the way the songs start and then the next part. The dynamics of the songs are very different than, say, 'Merry Go Round' or 'Danger' or a couple of the others." (Popdose 2012)


John Ashton: "Love that song. Love it so much. It's another one of those songs that I think we were working out at the time when Roger and Duncan were still in the band. It definitely had its beginnings way, way early on in the project. A bit of a carryover from the Talk Talk Talk days. The cello was obviously an addition at the time, but, again, the orchestration of it, the way it starts, the way it kicks into the verse, and then the chorus is kind of a carryover to Talk Talk Talk, orchestration-wise. Dynamics-wise, definitely." (Popdose 2012)


Tim Butler (on his three favorite songs "Only You And I", "Heaven", and "President Gas"): "They are constructed the best and all the parts of the instrumentation is perfect for those songs. They're some of the best-realized songs in our catalogue." (Songfacts 2013)


Tim Butler: "My favorite songs we've ever done are 'Heaven' and 'Only You And I,' which wasn't a single but I hope we put it in there [on the setlist for The Singles Tour]." (Outline Magazine 2017)


Tim Butler: "I love playing 'Only You And I' off of Forever Now, which we play sometimes but I'd love to play more because it's one of my favorites off that." (Rock & Roll Globe 2020)


Rich Good (on being asked what were his favorite classic PFurs songs to play live): "'Soap Commercial', 'Sister Europe', 'Dumb Waiters', 'Only You And I', 'Alice's House'… Honestly, there's not really any I don't like playing." (Post-Punk.com 2022)



Photo: Paul Natkin


No comments:

Post a Comment