Wednesday, January 1, 2020

The 2010s & a Short Article on The Psychedelic Furs (Album)

Happy New Year everyone! Well, it's officially 2020 and it's hard to believe that the 2010s are now over. Looking back on that decade there were a lot of great moments that happened for sure. In 2017 I saw Green Day live for the first time ever, in 2015 I saw Rush, and then in 2019 I saw Howard Jones. However the one moment that stands above the rest of them was when I got into The Psychedelic Furs and how they changed my world. The last half of the 2010s is something I will always remember fondly, and in a way I'm kind of sad that it ended. I would love to go back and relive it all over again, but thankfully I have the memories of those wonderful times. I can't believe from 2015 to 2019 I saw The Psychedelic Furs in concert four times, and right now I thought of how later this year in September it will be exactly five years since I first saw The Furs. It shocks me how time had passed so quickly, was it really that long ago? Yikes.

But I'm so glad that 2020 is now here because of one very, very important thing. The Psychedelic Furs' new album. Last I heard it will most likely be released in Spring, and I wonder if this month or the next a new single will come out or The Furs will announce the title of the new LP. I can't wait until the new album comes out, so excited!

To conclude this post I found this short article about The Psychedelic Furs and it's from an American magazine (maybe Billboard??) back in late 1980. On that article it showed The Furs' debut album entered the US Billboard Charts at #143 at that time (the highest it reached was #140) and it gave some background info about the band. It's a great way to start 2020 by posting the article, especially since the album will be celebrating its 40th anniversary this year.

Here's what the article says about The Psychedelic Furs:

"In 1977, as the music scene in England mushroomed with the fury of the punk movement, other sounds and styles were being explored. One of these was the avant-garde, progressive rock sounds of The Psychedelic Furs.
"The group formed in 1977 with Richard Butler on vocals, Tim Butler on bass, Roger Morris on guitar and Duncan Kilburn on saxophone. John Ashton, the second guitarist, was added in 1978 and drummer Vince Bly 
[Ely] came aboard in 1979.
"The debut Columbia album, produced by Steve Lillywhite who has done Peter Gabriel, XTC and The Brains, rocketed into the British top 20 upon its release earlier this year [1980].
"In the U.S., the album is receiving extensive airplay on college and underground stations. It has already sold a healthy amount as an import."


No comments:

Post a Comment