Friday, January 31, 2020

My Thoughts on Don't Believe: The New Single

A day before The Psychedelic Furs announced the special news (which was yesterday) I heard a couple people say on Twitter that BBC6 played a song that was supposedly The Furs' new single, called "Don't Believe." When I heard about it I was suspicious at first. How would they know when the band hadn't posted the announcement yet? Well, it turned out... they were right. Later in the day I got a comment on my latest post and it was from Gail, who is a PFurs fan and usually comments on my blog. She heard about the discussion too and so she searched for "Don't Believe." She found out the new single was uploaded on YouTube, and she thinks that since it was already the 31st over in the UK the song got posted. After reading her comment I immediately went to The Psychedelic Furs' official YouTube account and, behold, there it was... But before I go any further on the new single I discovered the name of the new album. After when I listened to "Don't Believe" I checked out the description and it said this:

"Taken from the new album by The Psychedelic Furs; Made Of Rain. Available to pre-order now."



There it is everyone. The new name for The Psychedelic Furs' long-awaited eighth studio album, Made Of Rain. It will be released on May 1st and the track listing has been revealed!


1. The Boy That Invented Rock & Roll
2. Don’t Believe
3. You’ll Be Mine
4. Wrong Train
5. This’ll Never Be Like Love
6. Ash Wednesday
7. Come All Ye Faithful
8. No-One
9. Tiny Hands
10. Hide The Medicine
11. Turn Your Back On Me
12. Stars



I'm still in shock about what happened and it feels like it's all a dream. But it is not a dream after all. It's reality. It's really happening. I am so happy, so excited that The Psychedelic Furs are finally coming out with new music. It's hard having to wait until May comes but it will be worth it. I had been waiting for four years and it's almost here.

And now, let's get right to the new single, "Don't Believe." I've listened to this song six times already and... It. Is. Awesome! The music in "Don't Believe" is a mix between the 80s and modern alternative and it is just perfect. Rich Good's guitar work is really incredible, and it was great hearing the signature sound of Mars Williams' saxophone. And Richard Butler... Wow... His vocals are absolutely amazing!! I was stunned when I first heard Richard's voice. He sings so good, and he doesn't even sound like he's 63 at all! On Record Mirror's review of Midnight To Midnight back in 1987 they said that Richard Butler's voice gets richer with age. They were definitely right, and nowadays it is still true.

To Richard and Tim Butler, Rich Good, Mars Williams, Paul Garisto, Amanda Kramer, and Richard Fortus, thank you all so much for this amazing song. I can't wait to hear what the rest of the songs on Made Of Rain are like, and I have a feeling they will be brilliant as ever!


Update: I heard that on May 14th The Psychedelic Furs are going to perform at the Royal Albert Hall in London. They will play the Made Of Rain album in its entirety and also some of their well-known hits. I'm looking forward to see what they'll do for the tour this year, especially in Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment