Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Behind the Albums: Trysome Eatone


A selection of quotes from Love Spit Love on Trysome Eatone, their second album, released in 1997.


Richard Butler (in response to the interviewer saying that the album compares with The Psychedelic Furs' best work): "I'd like to think that. I couldn't be more pleased with the way it turned out." (Billboard 1997)


Richard Butler (on singing falsetto): "It was just something that happened on this record. And it happened quite naturally. It wasn't like I was thinking, 'I should go falsetto on a couple of places.' Most of these songs were written around my apartment with Richard Fortus, and a lot of acoustic guitar. When he played ('Little Fist') it just seemed natural to go into that voice." (Billboard 1997)


Richard Butler: "This is the first record I've really wanted to bother to listen to after getting out of the studio. I haven't really felt that way since Forever Now. I think it's the range of emotions that we touched on that it puts me in a lot of different places when I listen to it. I don't think I've accomplished that in a while." (The San Bernardino County 1997)


Richard Fortus: "I think [Richard Butler] started listening to a lot more Oasis and Blur and that's where his tastes were at the moment. And also, I think he wanted to have a successful record. I think he felt like he couldn't really stretch out because it had been so long between records. But he's very happy with this record. He really likes it." (St. Louis Post Dispatch 1997)


Richard Fortus: "I think I still would have liked to have gone [for] some more unusual things. I mean, I think it's a good pop record, a good, solid pop record. But I don't think it's breaking any new ground." (St. Louis Post Dispatch 1997)


Richard Butler: "I wanted to make a record that had all great songs. Not all singles necessarily, just great songs. I also wanted the record to be varied, with lots of different moods, but make it so it all hung together." (Unknown source, 1997?)


Tim Butler: "There was a time, after the first Love Spit Love album–I didn't do the second one, or tour with them–I actually went to audio engineering school. Then I went and worked as an audio engineer at Electric Lady Studios in New York, at Jimi Hendrix's studio that he built. So, I was in the music business, but I was on the other side of the glass, in the control room. (Creative Pinellas 2016)


Richard Butler (on the time when The Psychedelic Furs broke up): "It was time to go in and make another record, and I just realised I wasn't excited about it. I felt as if I already knew what it would sound like. We didn't want to do that again. And so, we just… quit. At that point it wasn't meant to be a hiatus, it was simply 'I quit!'
"I went on to make two Love Spit Love albums and a solo one." (Record Collector 2020)


Photo: Michael Halsband


No comments:

Post a Comment