Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Behind the Songs: How Soon Is Now? [Cover]


A
 quote from Richard Butler on Love Spit Love's cover of The Smiths' song "How Soon Is Now?"


Richard Butler: "It was quite accidental how that came about. A guy – I forget his name – the music supervisor for a movie, and I'm not sure that wasn't called Charmed as well… [Interviewer mentions The CraftThe Craft! Yeah! And he came and said, 'Would you like to do a cover of The Smiths song?' And I said, 'Well, yeah, but…I love the song, but I'm not sure how much I can make it my own.' Because their version is so definitive, and they're so great on it. And without that… [Does an impression on the riff] …that weird sound, it's not much. So you have to do that. And then all you have to do is, basically, hope you can sound different enough from Morrissey while singing one of his melodies! (Laughs) But I loved doing it, and I love the version. And, quite accidentally, I guess they decided…was it Fox? No, Warner Brothers. They decided to do kind of a TV series more or less based around the movie, and they wanted that to be the theme tune. So it was just luck, really." (Bullz-Eye 2006)




No comments:

Post a Comment