Saturday, May 25, 2024

Blog Of Days: Fifth Anniversary Special [Part 2]

Photo: Matthew Reeves

This is the second and final installment of celebrating the fifth anniversary of my blog. This one is going to be very special because there is another anniversary I want to celebrate. In 2014, ten years ago, something happened that would change my life. I became a fan of The Psychedelic Furs.

Well, actually, it happened in November of that year but I want to talk about it right now because it is so important to me. I never thought I would find a band that would have an impact on my life and made me who I am today.


On one of my previous posts I wrote about how I discovered them but I will talk about it again here. Growing up my parents would play 80s music and I think the first Psychedelic Furs song I ever heard when I was a kid was "Heaven". Then, when I was about 14, I remember hearing "Love My Way" and loving it, and in my late teens to early 20s I started liking "Sister Europe" and "The Ghost In You". In the Autumn of 2014, all of a sudden, The Psychedelic Furs entered my mind and I decided to check out their other music. I bought a greatest hits album, and after two listens, I fell in love and became a fan. After when it happened I never knew what it would bring for me in the coming years, and I realized I had finally found a band that gave me a special connection.


The first Psychedelic Furs CD I listened to.

So years before I got into The Psychedelic Furs, the first band that I became obsessed with was Green Day. Nowadays I still love them and they are my second favorite band (the first being The Furs of course!). But the thing is, I got into them at the wrong time. I was 12 to 13 when American Idiot was extremely huge, and my parents wouldn't let me get that album and the previous ones. The three ways to listen to Green Day's music were the radio, watching the music videos on TV, and downloading songs that were safe to listen to. Eventually years later I was allowed to get their albums and hear the songs I wasn't able to listen to before. I thought to myself that if I was an adult during that time I think Green Day would be my main favorite band. Or not, who knows.

From my teens to early 20s there are a few other bands I got really into, like 30 Seconds To Mars, The Smiths, and Tears For Fears, but here's the thing: With Green Day and those other bands, even though I loved their music (and still do), they didn't give me that connection I mentioned. You would hear people say a certain band changed their lives but it wasn't happening to me. And then The Psychedelic Furs appeared. They are the only band that changed my life and even helped me in so many ways. Before I got into them, I felt like I was not good enough and stupid at times. And me being the youngest of three, I had always felt my older siblings were the perfect ones and I'm the messed up one. Even though it's not really true, I couldn't help feeling like that. But after I got into The Psychedelic Furs, their music made me feel better about myself and gave me so much comfort throughout the years. I honestly don't know what my life would be like if I never found them, and I can't imagine it at all. And not only did The Psychedelic Furs change my life but through their music so many special moments happened as well, which I'd never thought would ever happen to me. As of today I saw The Furs five times in concert and they are the number one band I've seen the most. And at those concerts I was lucky enough to meet guitarist Rich Good twice and was able to give The Furs a letter. They were the happiest times of my life and I will always cherish those wonderful memories.


Photo: Peter Noble

Even though I'm absolutely proud to be a fan of The Psychedelic Furs, I have to admit, as a fan in my 30s, there are days where I would question myself if I am really a true fan or not; because I feel like you have to be a true fan if you discovered The Furs during the '80s. Even when I went to those concerts or me being on the PFurs fan page on Facebook I felt like I'm the only young fan out there in the world, and I get worried there would be some older fans who look down on the younger fans such as myself. But why should I worry about it? The important thing is that I love The Psychedelic Furs and their music is timeless. It has no expiration date, and I know the band loves seeing a new generation of people discovering their music. It's the only thing that matters.

I can't believe it's been ten years now and it doesn't even feel like it was that long ago. But they were such incredible years and I will never, ever forget them. With all my heart, I want to thank The Psychedelic Furs for being a part of my life all these years, for their music, and for all the fantastic memories they have given me. I wish I can think of more words to say but I am absolutely grateful. <3


Thank you for reading part 2.


Photo: Matthew Reeves


No comments:

Post a Comment