Monday, May 1, 2023

For Mars Williams

Photo: Matthew Reeves

Recently The Psychedelic Furs started touring and people were posting photos of the first two shows on the Facebook fan page "For Fans of The Psychedelic Furs." I looked at the pictures and I noticed there was something missing. Mars Williams wasn't at those shows and I wondered if he was going to join them later during the tour. But sadly I heard some awful news today. I went on my Instagram and the first post to appear was from Rich Good. Rich posted a few pictures of him and Mars Williams together and Rich wrote that Mars is dealing with cancer... There was a link to a GoFundMe page although unfortunately Instagram doesn't allow you to click on links to websites. But The Psychedelic Furs had posted the link on their Twitter and Facebook accounts, and the GoFundMe is for Mars and was written by one of his friends in the music community. The friend wrote that last December Mars was diagnosed with ampullary cancer, a rare one in which a tumor develops near the bile duct and pancreas. In January he had major surgery and stayed three weeks at the hospital to recover, and in March started a six-month course of chemotherapy.

I am shocked and saddened to hear this because I admire Mars Williams for everything he did for The Psychedelic Furs, and to me he is the best saxophonist of all time. I love his work on Mirror Moves, Midnight To Midnight, and Made Of Rain, and I am glad I had the honor to see him in action when I saw The Furs live four times. My thoughts and prayers go out to Mars and I hope he will get all the help he needs to get better. Sending all my love and best wishes to him.



Here's one of my favorite photos that I took of Mars Williams and Rich Good back in 2016.


Photo by me.

Edit: Since I am working now I donated to Mars' GoFundMe. I'm glad I was able to help him. <3


5/8/2023 Update: I published a follow-up to this post: https://ontomorrowspages.blogspot.com/2023/05/update-on-mars-williams.html

6/23/2023 Update: Here's the second update about Mars: https://ontomorrowspages.blogspot.com/2023/06/update-on-mars-williams-2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment