Sunday, January 30, 2022

Behind the Songs: Aeroplane

A selection of quotes from The Psychedelic Furs on the song "Aeroplane."


Richard Butler: "That was made up because of people like Bow Wow Wow saying, 'We don't want to worry about the world's problems. We want to celebrate.' So we decided to write a song you can dance to about the bomb dropping. I just like the absurdity of seeing a floor of people dancing to a song about a bomb dropping." (Creem 1983)


John Ashton: "The line in that which always gets me is 'I'm coming down if you want me.' That's sort of like saying well, the bombers are flying around in the sky, but we can make them stop—if we want to. At least, I'm assuming that it's possible." (Creem 1983)


John Ashton: "We lumped ['Love My Way'] in with the demos that we were doing [for Forever Now], and none of the record companies saw it [as being a single]. They saw 'Aeroplane.' They saw a version of 'Alice's House' that we did that they liked a lot, which came later." (Popdose 2012)


Tim Butler: "If I can remember way back to Forever Now, Todd [Rundgren] did a dance mix of a song called 'Aeroplane.' He'd never done a dance mix before. It was a bit strange. But it was an experiment." (Westword 2013)




No comments:

Post a Comment