Monday, May 20, 2019

Psychedelic Furs May 20, 1987

On this day in 1987 my parents saw The Psychedelic Furs live at The Forum in Los Angeles, California during the Midnight To Midnight tour. Since Midnight To Midnight is one of my favorite albums, it's exciting to hear how my parents saw The Furs on that tour. But I wondered if the band members had it all under control. On my Beautiful Chaos biography, I read how The Psychedelic Furs hated doing the Midnight To Midnight tour. When they first started, they were fine with it at first but as the tour progressed they suddenly hated every second of it. They hated singing Midnight's songs, wearing the leather jackets and having the big hair, and performing at large arenas which they weren't used to. Plus the tour stressed Richard Butler so much that he became really ill. When my parents saw them on that day I hope The Furs were still okay with the tour and not hating it.

I heard a couple things about that concert from my parents. The first thing is that Andy Taylor (of Duran Duran) opened up for The Psychedelic Furs, and he actually got a bad reception. The audience were booing at Andy, ignoring him, and were talking to other people in the crowd. Heck, the house lights were still on while Andy performed. Even my dad admitted that Andy Taylor wasn't very good live.

The second thing is that "The Ghost In You" is my parents' favorite Psychedelic Furs song and they wanted to hear it live. But the song didn't even get played at all and my parents were disappointed. Besides that though, they really liked the concert and they enjoyed watching the way Richard Butler performed.


Setlist:

1. Midnight To Midnight
2. Mr. Jones
3. Alice's House
4. No Easy Street
5. Heaven
6. Only You And I
7. All Of The Law
8. Highwire Days
9. Shadow In My Heart
10. Sleep Comes Down
11. Sister Europe
12. One More Word
13. Heartbeat
14. Shock


Encore 1:

15. Heartbreak Beat

16. Love My Way
17. Pretty In Pink

Encore 2:

18. President Gas
19. All Of This And Nothing


Encore 3:

20. India


Featured on my tour programme, the dates for the Midnight To Midnight tour May 16 - June 17, 1987.

No comments:

Post a Comment