Monday, September 23, 2024

Behind the Songs: Turn Your Back On Me

A quote from Paul Garisto on the song "Turn Your Back On Me".


Interviewer: "We listened to "Turn Your Back On Me", which is a nice song, but we noticed the lyrics were quite simple. How did you write the chorus to that song? Do you think keeping the lyrics striped down is a good technique for having a good song?" 

Paul Garisto: "I did not write the lyrics to that song. Richard Butler from the Psychedelic Furs wrote the lyrics. I just composed the music and I composed the music first and then sent it to Richard; he wrote the lyrics and his melody and I think you're right about that. It's a pretty simplistic approach lyrically, but in this particular case it works well because the song's lush sounding, especially the chorus. It sounds quite lush and to have that juxtaposition of the lushness against the real simple "turn your back on me", which I think works for that song, it doesn't have to be complicated, right? If you can communicate in a very simple way and communicate emotion, that's the main thing. You don't have to use a lot of words for you to identify with sadness or happiness. I think in this particular case that the simple lyrics really work. It doesn't need to say more than that. It's perfect for what it is." (Coffee Time News 2024)




No comments:

Post a Comment