Friday, August 7, 2020

Made Of Rain Reactions & Songwriting Credits

It's hard to believe Made Of Rain came out a week ago and so far it is still receiving a lot of praise. Besides reading reviews from music journalists I checked out the fans' opinions on the PFurs Facebook fan page For Fans Of The Psychedelic Furs. Many loved Made Of Rain but there are others who have mixed feelings about the album. Even though some of those fans like Made Of Rain, they said it wasn't as good as Forever Now and Mirror Moves, and one of them said the slow songs didn't fit the album. But the thing that surprised me was a couple people (who are long-time fans) said Made Of Rain doesn't feel like a Psychedelic Furs LP. The first person said that Made Of Rain is basically a Love Spit Love album with The Psychedelic Furs name slapped on it, and the second said half of the album didn't sound like The Furs. On my review of Made Of Rain I mentioned how three of the songs reminded me of Love Spit Love and Richard Butler's solo album but I don't think like, "Oh, this doesn't sound like The Psychedelic Furs!". To me it is The Psychedelic Furs and their music but in the modern age. The music on Made Of Rain is glorious and The Psychedelic Furs did a wonderful job with it.

This picture is reminiscent of the US cover art for The Psychedelic Furs (1980). Photo by Matthew Reeves.


Another thing I want to talk about is the songwriting. I know that all of the song lyrics on Made Of Rain were written by Richard Butler but I always wanted to know who wrote the music to these songs. I went to Made Of Rain's page on Discogs to find out (I'm still waiting for my CD) and it was interesting! I'll list out the composers and the songs.


Tim Butler: "Don't Believe", "You'll Be Mine", "Wrong Train", and "Tiny Hands".

Rich Good: "The Boy That Invented Rock & Roll", "Don't Believe", "This'll Never Be Like Love", "Come All Ye Faithful", and "No-One".

Paul Garisto: "Don't Believe", "Ash Wednesday", and "Turn Your Back On Me".

Richard Fortus: "Hide The Medicine" and "Stars".

John Ashton: "Wrong Train".

Jon Carin: "Stars".


Here are a few things that interest me:

1. Paul Garisto wrote the music to "Ash Wednesday" and "Turn Your Back On Me".

2. Jon Carin was co-writer of "Stars" and since he worked on Richard Butler's solo album the song definitely has that feel!

3. I don't know if it's true or not but someone said that "Hide The Medicine" was originally supposed to be a Love Spit Love song.

No comments:

Post a Comment